Actually, a syntax modifier could easily automatically make all your "usual globals" declared as locals.

It could even change references to string.* etc. to be locals. Without you needing to do this explicitly.

	print( string.find )

-->

	local print= print		-- prefix code automatically added to each chunk
	local string= string
	local string_find= string.find

	print( string_find )		-- modified of the actual source above

Would you rather have it this way?

-asko