Yes, that did it. Just apply "-msoft-float -mfpu=vfp" to everything
and you'll be able to cross-compile to ARM without any modifications
to Lua. Of course, the best way is still to have a proper
cross-compiler, but I'm happy with the way it works right now.
And a final note: strictly speaking, this is not an endianess problem.
I quote again:

       Yes.  On ARM, the two 32bit words of a double are themselves encoded
       in _native endian orde_r, but the most significant word is always first.

This is more a problem of a very specific data represention. And a
cross-compiler must take this into account.
Thanks for all your help.

Bogdan