Heh.

http://sourceware.org/ml/crossgcc/2005-05/msg00126.html

And I quote:

Hi there,

a while back a had problems with with the byte order of doubles on an
ARM9 system.

Nicolas Pitre wrote me:

        Yes.  On ARM, the two 32bit words of a double are themselves encoded
        in native endian order, but the most significant word is always first.

    And for completeness, this is true only for FPA ordering. The new
VFP ordering uses native memory ordering which is the same as i386 for
litle endian, or ppc for big endian, as anyone would normally expect.

    The kernel FP emulators are emulating a FPA coprocessor though.
    When soft-float is used, it can be configured to use either FPA or
VFP ordering.

If this is true (and I'm pretty sure it is) compiling everything with
"-msoft-float -mfpu=vfp" should do the trick. Unfortunately
"everything" includes the toolchain (Newlib + libgcc + other gcc libs)
so that's a job for tomorrow. I'll post the results here.

Bogdan