From: "Hugo Schmitt" <hugows@gmail.com>
I use this all day. Just set outline-regexp according to your function format.
(add-hook 'lua-mode-hook 'my-lua-config)
(defun my-lua-config ()
(setq outline-regexp "function"))

I really like this simple approach
Me, too. What I would use in my editor at work would be a PCRE regexp search, too. Personally, with my indent style, this will find stuff that is not local or is not anonymous:
^function \w+\(
Is this a valid Emacs regexp, too?
And we are getting OT, but can you use the same thing for plain text files. Quite many files I read have headings matching:

Again, PCRE syntax.

I'm legally blind so I don't care for the syntax highlighting even though speechd-el would use different voices for different faces. At any rate, with a screen reader, searching is even more important, since you cannot scan visually or glance at stuff, just listen through linearly extremely fast and interrupt greedily.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä
Accessibility, Apps and Coding plus Synths and Music: