Enrico Colombini wrote:

I acknowledge that my case is probably not very common, so usually your solution should work fine. Nethertheless, being able to compile Lua sources on any systems having stdio but not a filesystem could be useful. Many small embedded system libraries offer a reduced stdio that makes the #define trick... well, tricky :-)

And don't even get me started on how difficult it is to sort out
these problems once stdio.h, string.h and friends are included
in the source...

In the end, I ended up putting together a private c runtime library
for my embedded system.

The file IO was another story, since I ended up having to write my
own flat file system for a very small FLASH space of about 48K for
file data.

Embedded systems are tricky, and I'm not sure if making the Lua
source go through hoops to support all the variations is worth it :-)

I'll look at it again as I move towards upgrading the base
code of Lua for the LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT to 5.1.4

Cheers, Ralph