One relatively simple thing you can do is switch the default number type (lua_Number) from double to float.  Depending on your platform, this can make a significant improvement in performance.  Of course, this requires that your use of Lua would be tolerant of lower precision numbers.

Also, Lua has a couple assert-like validation macros – make sure those are disabled (unless you’re trying to debug something).  I can’t remember the specific macro names off the top of my head.

-Andrew Yount

From: lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br [mailto:lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br] On Behalf Of Manish Jain
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 5:33 AM
To: Lua list
Subject: Lua: Performance

Hi,

I understand that it is not logical to compare performance of Lua(or any scripting) language with an application programming languages(like C), but I am struggling to improve performance of my Lua module. I understand that ‘luac’ does not help to improve performance. Do we have something in same direction to improve lua performance? Anything except moving to C will help.

Best Regards,

Manish Jain