> To be honest, my view is that msvcrt is by far the best option. Except
> that MS compilers no longer use it. Does anyone know a way of
> persuading newer MS C compilers to use it?

  That is not recommended, since the CRTL include files on newer versions
are different and some macros that points to internal functions will be
invalid if you do that.

  Also msvcrt is not the best option. I guess is the most convenient option.
But the latest msvcr* have many bug fixes and improved support for
multithreading.

Best,
Scuri