Thomas Lauer wrote:
I am amazed that this issue hasn't been resolved (and RIPped) long ago.

But who's duty is to resolve the issue?

It's clearly not an issue of Lua as a language. It's just a consequence of (a very popular) LuaBinaries once releasing lua5.1.dll that became a de facto binary standard, then authors of many third-party Lua libraries were releasing binary packages compatible with LuaBinaries.

Note: I'm not blaming LuaBinaries; that was just one unfortunate decision that is difficult to be undone.

--
Shmuel