Ralph Hempel wrote:
Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> > Anybody know if there are plans to sell Programming In Lua, Second
> > Edition, in electronic form?
> I've always wanted to make it available in electronic form, but I could
> not find a reasonable way to do it. What format? How to sell?
Have a look at the Drumlin PDF reader and secure PDF encoding
service. It might make some sense.
One major benefit of an e-book is accessibility. Being legally blind reading a normal book for the sighted involves having to scan the pages in manually one by one and run the thing through OCR. Even so, errors remain, and these are often vital in program code. An electronic version has none of these disadvantages and is directly screen reader accessible if done right.

And that's a big if. PDF copies that do have accessibility or plain text copying disabled due to DRM paranoia simply won't be accessible at all. But then again, if you go with accessibility, nothing would stop you from writing a screen reader or speech synth that rips content rather than just reading it. also even though technically accessible I've seen PDFs lacking spaces, producing garbage or being unreadable due to poorly tagged multi-column layouts in plain text. Most folks don't know how to make PDFs accessible.

I've asked and Amazon's PDF e-books are not accessible to the blind. MobiPocket lacks screen reader support and LIT is not screen reader readable in the first place.

When I read Higher ORder Perl I bought the physical copy and given scanned receipts and such, the publisher was willing to send me an e-book based on it.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä