On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net> wrote:
> Lua seems to not be bundled with the OS.  The maemo.org download area
> does have Python and Ruby, but not Lua.  A search on luaforge.net for
> "maemo", "gtk", "hildon" (the UI framework), "nokia" or "nit" (Nokia
> coined the "Nokia Internet Tablet" term) doesn't reveal related projects
> ("nokia" hits for a bit manipulation library since that one supports one
> of Nokia's formats, it seems).

We have been succesfully running Kepler (with Xavante as the web
server) on Maemo since the N770 but this is not even close to having a
Hildon/GTK bind, for sure.

The devices were able to handle more than 20 simultaneous connections
while keeping being fully operational for the user. Not that we are
suggesting using one for your intranet... :o)

The idea is to execute local web applications on Maemo that would sync
data with the "external" web application whenever there was such a
connection. The user experience (using the browser) should be the
same, only the dataset would be subject to changes.

But again, this is a totally different use of Lua. I really like the
idea of having native application development for Hildon but this is
not part of Kepler's roadmap.

> I've searched the ML back to 2006, but apart from some occasional
> mentions by Asko, Ralph, Andre and Norman about "would be nice to have"
> I've not seen any "more involved" statements.  Did I miss some already
> existing project, maybe hosted on other OSS sites?  Or should we (do we
> want to?) start another LuaForge project?  Is it actually a NIT&Lua
> specific task or would it be more generic and should be a maemo.org
> project?
>
> Opinions, comments, suggestions, references to existing work?

Another thing to consider would be adding LuaRocks to the SDK
toolchain so one could use LuaRocks to build a set of Rocks and then
migrate them to the device,  where they would be "frozen".

André