Hi,

This is the way I did when I built Lua and Kepler debs for the Nokia 770, but it's too much of a hassle just to build a couple of packages, I thought someone would have already done all this and packaged it up as a nice VM image. :-)

--
Fabio Mascarenhas

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net> wrote:
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 10:29 -0300, Fabio Mascarenhas wrote:

> I have to download a Maemo VM and play sometimes to see if I can compile the
> whole Kepler stack (+Alien) in the latest Maemo, anyone know a good one
> (preferably that works with VirtualBox, as VMPlayer is broken on Ubuntu
> 8.04)?

IIUC, the Maemo SDK (from maemo.org -> SDK) contains
- a chrooted environment
- a native (x86) build chain
- a cross (ARMel) build chain
Maemo development requires an x86 workstation, preferrably Debian or
Ubuntu, but other distros might work as well.

You can build for the native PC environment during development, run gdb,
valgrind and friends on the software.  And then you switch to the cross
compiler, and either run the resulting binaries in an emulator on the PC
(which lacks support for a few edge cases, but usually works great) or
beam the binaries onto the gadget and run them there.

Running autoconf stuff is said to work when you change into the
development environment and configure and build from there.

But I've not yet done this, only glimpsed through the doc, since I don't
have the gadget (yet).

virtually yours
Gerhard Sittig