Mike King <MKing@klmicrowave.com> wrote:

> The compiler/linker from CodeGear can create programs that don't
> require any additional DLLs to run.  I was surprised to find out
> today the Win32 build of Lua requires some Microsoft runtime DLL to
> be able to run.

Thanks for the patch Mike, I've saved it off for later use.

I also use the Borland compilers often for just this reason: creation of standalone executables.  It makes distribution and installation a snap.  While I do agree that shared DLLs save resources, the headaches caused by the versioning of DLLs I can live without.  And sometimes it just makes sense.  While doing some work with the Blackdog and K9 devices (an embedded linux server with a built in biometric reader for authentication), I had a need for a standalone executable, which at device boot time would be copied from the device to the host PC (and of course removed when the device was unplugged).  Not having to also arrange for the copy and deletion of a bunch of support DLLs made this much simpler.  The program itself acted as a SOAP server so that the device could send commands (usually Lua scripts to be executed on the host) to the host PC.

Terry