On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 09:22:12PM +0800, Pete Kay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do I uninstall the 5.1.3 release so that the apt-get version can take
> effect?

I this this is getting a bit off-topic, a only debian related...
anywhay...

What distribution are you using? If you are using stable, you can
install the lua5.1 and liblua5.1-sql-sqlite2 packages, and you will get
a working lua5.1 intepreter, and require sql.sqlite should work. But you
will have lua version 5.1.1, not 5.1.3.

You could simply use the LUA_INIT environement variable or change
package.cpath (see the lua manual) to make the version of lua you
compiled look for modules (installed using packages, thus in /usr/ and
not /usr/local/) in the right place. In any case you will mix libraries
compiled for lua 5.1.1 and your lua interpreter that is lua 5.1.3, it
should work but I won't call that solution "clean".

I think you have two choices, upgrade your Debian box to lenny (the
upcoming stable release) that ships lua 5.1.3 and many more lua
libraries, or use luarocks (http://luarocks.org) that will download and
compile libraries for you (but again, you will have to install the
development files of sqlite to succeed in the compilation).

Cheers
--
Enrico Tassi