On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:38 PM, steve donovan
<steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, it isn't that difficult to make Lua look like another language,
>  but the difficulty comes when people expect the same semantics ;)
>  Easy to 'skin' Lua to look like JavaScript, but boy, it will bite
>  people who are expecting the same forgiving number-string
>  autoconversions.
>
>  It is IMHO a good idea that scripting languages keep distinct syntax
>  so that users know that this is a different animal.

Very good idea indeed. I personally always stumble things like on !=
vs ~= and on if (...) vs if ...then differences. But that stumble
allows my mind to do a context switch and to start thinking in Lua
after coding in C++ and vice versa. Such context switch allows both
(quite different!) programming paradigms to coexist in my mind.

If both languages would look identically, I guess, I'd be very
frustated trying to wrap my head around paradigm differences.

Alexander.