Title: Grupo Hasar
I don't know the compiler details. Would it be too difficult to consider local declarations after a conditional or unconditional 'continue' an error?  Or collect all local declarations (not initializations) at the beginning of  a block? For example, treat the given example code as if it was:

repeat
    local x
    if something then continue end
    x = ...