On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@gmail.com> wrote:
> We did all have it out recently that some kind of scoping
> is required, that having everything as a global variable is
> not enough anymore.  That's in CMake CVS and people are
> shaking the bugs out of it.  CMake 2.6 will have function
> calls with scope available, so that you don't have to use
> plain macros if you don't want to.  Kitware's attitude is
> that they will continue to improve the language as needed.

I think that, in a nut shell, is why tool developers should think long and hard before rolling their own languages. CMake is a build tool, why are they wasting cycles on language design? Lua (and plenty of other languages) have spent years working through these same issues, why duplicate that effort?