FYI:

http://openjdk.java.net/projects/mlvm/
---------------------------
Mission

    We are extending the JVM with first-class architectural support
    for languages other than Java, especially dynamic languages. This
    project will prototype a number of extensions to the JVM, so that
    it can run non-Java languages efficiently, with a performance
    level comparable to that of Java itself.

    Our emphasis is on completing the existing bytecode and execution
    architecture with general purpose extensions, as opposed to a new
    feature for just one language, or adjoining an unrelated new
    execution model.

    We want the new languages to co-exist gracefully with Java in the
    JVM, and to benefit (like Java) from its powerful and mature
    technologies.

    We are looking to remove "pain points" already observed by
    implementors of successful or influential languages, as opposed to
    attempting more speculative work on unproven features or niche
    languages.

    Major sub-projects include dynamic invocation and extensions to
    class loading.  There is a large number of more speculative,
    lower-priority sub-projects. These are included in hopes that
    someone in the community will become excited with us at the
    prospects of a more dynamic JVM, to the point of sharing in its
    creation.
Best
   Martin