On Feb 7, 2008 1:05 PM, Fabien <fleutot+lua@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2008 6:15 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > But every API and every piece of software out there is similarly
> > unique.  In order to use someone else's code, I have to figure out
> > what the heck is going on with it.  How much pain does that require?
> > It depends on the design, the documentation, and the degree to which a
> > community has already been built.  Macros aren't a dealbreaker here.
> > They aren't any worse than a baroque OO hierarchy or an ill-conceived
> > pile of function calls.
>
> Again, the problem is not formal but human (which doesn't make it any less
> serious). When you feel free to use macros, you're much more likely to write
> hard-to-reuse code.

But what is easy-to-reuse code?  I've never seen it.  I think it's a
myth.  I've seen hard-to-reuse code, horribly-painful-to-reuse code,
and impossible-to-reuse code.  The only code I've seen that might
qualify, is so easy as to be pointless-to-reuse code.
Shouldn't-have-bothered-writing-a-library-for-that code.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every