On Feb 2, 2008 3:12 PM, Brandon Van Every <bvanevery@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2008 5:54 PM, Wesley Smith <wesley.hoke@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does
> > premake only generate visual studio projects or can it use existing
> > ones?  The latter is more what I'm after.
>
> I think that's asking for the moon.  Regarding MSVC as "the true
> format," and translating it to everything else out there, just doesn't
> sound tenable.  Microsoft doesn't even retain their format from MSVC
> version to MSVC version, they change it every time.  CMake keeps up
> with that BTW.  Some people use CMake solely to have a common build
> for all the different MSVC versions, they don't do any cross-platform
> work!

I think you misunderstood my statements.  I wasn't asking for a visual
studio translator into say Xcode or Make.  I was asking if I could run
premake scripts in for example cygwin and have it compile a list of
visual studio projects.  I would never want to export any microsoft
notion to another system.  I just happened to have well formatted MSVC
projects that I want to use to build on windows and I want to build
them all with a single script.  Can premake do that or do I have to
generate the project with premake itself first?  That is my real
question.

wes