This kind of breaking-the-standard-Lua extensions are suitable to luaSub, where each code chunk can have minor tweaks to itself, leaving others unaffected.

I, too, like the C string lexing, but on the other hand seem never to have really missed it in Lua.

Also the string folding at compile time could be given to luaSub to do, instead of troubling the core.

As to the state of luaSub, all major bugs in the C side are now solved, and half of the mods are passing self tests.

-asko