I am the decision-maker at my company.  My company bids on projects.  The bids are evaluated by clients that not only ask me "what happens if you die tomorrow" but why they should select the technology I propose.  In order to ensure I had an answer to the second question, I asked Lua itself why I should invest in developing solutions based on Lua.  Yeah, it does seem to come down to "what if Roberto gets killed tomorrow?"  Assuming developers will step in when there is no official structure now flies in the face of decades of failure of software projects after the central leader leaves.

There are vast differences between people that have been employees all their life and people who have
>run their own businesses. Employees get paid no matter what and are basically disposable.

And that is exactly why projects fail when the employee "leader" leaves.

But that is not the scenario you are describing. The community is not the team of employees around the employee leader. The community is many people, worldwide that use the language on a disparate array of platforms, some proprietary, others Unix/Linux based and others Windows based. Some of which are used by some of the largest household gaming and technology names in the business.

The leader in the Lua scenario is effectively the Queen bee, setting the direction etc, but absolutely replacable in the event of the Queen bee's demise.

I've gotten a lot of responses from people that have been employees all their lives.

You don't know that. That is an assumption.

You want evidence of commitment: We ported our Software Engineering tools to support Lua. So clearly we think Lua is here to stay. http://www.softwareverify.com.

Stephen