On 12/17/07, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> > using pushstring() feels unoptimal.
>
> That's the problem: it *feels* unoptimal but in reality, as Rici reported,
> it does not make any actual difference, not enough to warrant a complicated,
> error-prone, ugly API...
>
> Yet another lesson at the wrong perceptions that we programmers have about
> performance...

i really want to agree; and of course it warrants a benchmark or two.

but still, using string constants in Lua is (almost?) as light as
using integers, and i'd like to have this from C; ideally using enums
that get translated to already-interned lua strings.

unfortunately, i don't believe there's a neat solution.

--
Javier