What exactly is the problem here?

If it's creating string constants at runtime, one could scan all strings (automatically, token-filters) used and pre-initialize them at the beginning of a chunk. Like:

	local ___str_xxx= "xxx"
	if ____str_xxx then	-- was if "xxx" then

This would effectively pre-initialize the whole of alphabet etc. often used little strings. Not sure what bytecode Lua currently uses for such.

If the issue is about dynamically created strings, this would of course be unuseful. Personally, I have never faced problems with Lua strings, if one deals with them the recommended way, i.e. using 'table.concat' for long concatenations.

-asko