On 20 Nov 2007, at 09:40, Miles Bader wrote:

I suppose an important adjunct to a Lua compiler would be a way for
program writers to add annotations declaring their intent about such
things (e.g.  common-lisp's "declare" special-form).

I have thought so for a long time (in fact I think every language should have something similar to Common Lisp's "declare"), and occasionally I try and think of Lua-like ways of adding it to the core language. To me it seems like the best candidate for a new language feature. A declaration feature that is extensible in a way that language processors (like the PUC-Rio compiler, documentation tools, test harnesses) can invent declarations for their own use, but can still tell when they come across a mandatory declaration that they don't understand (so that they can bail). Like critical chunks in PNG.

drj