"steve donovan" <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> writes:
> A particularly effective optimization would be detecting global table
> calls (e.g. table.insert, math.sin) and automatically creating local
> aliases. Can L2 do this?

Since it seems very hard to guarantee the semantics of a local alias are
the same in typical Lua code, the big question is:  are these slightly
different semantics what the user wants?  95% of the time, they probably
are, but ....

I suppose an important adjunct to a Lua compiler would be a way for
program writers to add annotations declaring their intent about such
things (e.g.  common-lisp's "declare" special-form).

-Miles
--
We have met the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo