Are you just trolling, or are you seriously suggesting a rewrite of lua to c++, toss away the GC and inject it with boost??

XenoLiz wrote:

    From:       KHMan <keinhong () gmail ! com>
    Date:       2007-08-28 3:46:40
    [Download message RAW]
Ernst Rohlicek jun. wrote:
    > [snip]
    > Since Lua internally uses a VM, is it made for / possible to
    target the
    > VM with another language - ie. "compile" Python / Ruby / etc.
    code into
    > the Lua bytecode format? (even when some intermediate code would be
    > required for the according semantics)? - Is the Lua VM general
    enough
    > for this?
Subset are probably possible. Full implementations, probably
    problematic.

Problema in
    1) Lang integrability, where Lua builder award is "C" only.
    2) Biblio programm code, he volume.
    3) Test & bags finding. ( on universal VM link bags be many )
4) Realization new idea. ( on universal VM realization be slow, so idea be more ) 5) Market niche of Lua, where Lua builder award is embeded system only.

    > Reason is: I'm looking for a VM / framework to allow various dynamic
    > languages to access each other's objects and use a common object /
    > bytecode format = separate the execution / bytecode / VM from
    the syntax
    > and semantics. Could be fun :-) - If anyone has done research
    into this
    > area, I'd be very grateful for projects already working on this
    - thanks!
I think CLR and Parrot already solves the multiple scripting
    language problem in a more practical way.

You think? This Idiotism? The history CLR is aggravated theft, w/o transplantability. And now writing DotGnu&Mono. So it`s blunt way, using bad technology in your work.

    After fixing up the Lua VM to implement various languages
    efficiently, you'd probably end
    up with something like CLR or Parrot. So, why reinvent the wheel?

If we must serve MS & Perl, then Yes it is. You see Parrot VM? It is .... very, vary ... bad & JIT :)

    Something with Lua VM is probably better for language subsets, so
    for general interpretation of language sources, it won't fit the bill.
-- Cheers,
    Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Yes, using one VM for all langs impossible, only simple VM langs may be compile to Lua, and this work may do Compiler. If designer the Lua VM, so only for *optimizing* Lua: optimum, faster, usable & transplantability. So if something necessary, than Lua write on C++, w/o GC, with simple boost interface to C++ game code. I don`t think.