I am trying to create a lua socket. when i run the
program i find the error: "Cannot find the package
socket"

Have a look at the "installation.html" file in the doc directory of the LuaSocket distribution. It explains what you need where.

On Windows I'd suggest KISS - try setting your LUA_CPATH and LUA_PATH to the same directory, e.g.

C:\Program Files\OPPR\Packages

Then place the following LuaSocket files in this directory, which is the "root" of all installed packages:

socket.lua
mime.lua
ltn12.lua
compat-5.1.lua

Create a subdirectory socket and place the following in it:

socket\core.dll
socket\http.lua
socket\tp.lua
socket\ftp.lua
socket\smtp.lua
socket\url.lua

And a subdirectory mime containing:

mime\core.dll

Consider how the packaging works -- the instruction to:

require "socket"

will look in LUA_PATH to find "socket.lua". This in turn requires "socket.core", which looks for core.dll in LUA_CPATH\socket (the dot in the name of the item to be required becomes a subdirectory in the layout of the package files on disk).

If you want to add other packages, their top-level files (.lua or .dll) go into C:\Program Files\OPPR\Packages and any subfiles into the appropriate subdirectory. Many packages are self-contained, so there's just a .dll (or a .lua) file to place in C:\Program Files\OPPR\Packages.