Well, since we're on the issue of wish lists, I think a standard numerical array module would be desirable, something that provides up to rank 4 arrays of basic integer and floating point types. In terms of operations, it wouldn't need anything more than creation, subscripting, conversion, and resizing/reshaping. This could (and probably should) be separate from the numerical array type and strings that Lua already provides and that is integrated with tables.

The reason is that there are more and more extensions that operate on such data (audio, video, images, data analysis, numerics, visualization, graphics, etc.), and having a standard representation for them would make it more likely that extensions can interoperate.

Cheers,
Thomas.