Miles Bader wrote:

I've noticed that a lot of these "automatic" doc systems seem to yield
similar results, e.g., doxygen "docs" which exhaustively "document"
every function, class, and variable, but give no useful information
whatsoever...

Which is why a good source browser is useful. The source is after all
the best and most current documentation :-)

And if you're going to add specially formatted source comments so that
doxygen can parse them and turn them into a website or big manual
you can plunk on your boss or client's desk, why not just comment the
source for readability instead.

While I'm at it, every project should look at the Lua Reference Manual
for system and API docs done right, IMHO.

Cheers, Ralph