On 7/13/07, Vijay Aswadhati <vijay@planetbazaar.com> wrote:
On Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:57 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

> I'd still very much prefer a Lua variant which defaults to
> uninterned strings _until_ one uses them for indexing.  But it
> still beats using TeX for string manipulation.

Count my vote as well, perhaps for Lua 6.0? In Ruby strings are
mutable. Ruby introduces a new type called 'symbol' that are
interned and used for indexing and comparison [1]. I think such a
scheme would resolve a couple of issues (at least for me); for
example I could then use Lua string for mutable binary data buffers
instead of having to create a new user data.

While we are off topic, let me also include my wish for an integer
number type. I hate to maintain special builds of Lua.

-- Vijay

[1]
http://blog.zacharypinter.com/articles/2005/12/13/what-are-ruby-symb
ols

integer is also a probelm for LuaTeX.
TeX has no support for floating number while Lua has none for integer.....