> On 7/11/07, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
> > > The detailed chart for Lua (http://www.tiobe.com/tiobe_index/Lua.html) shows
> > > a huge jump in popularity in the last few months. Does anyone have a theory
> > > as to what caused this dramatic rise?
> >
> > The book "Beginning Lua Programming"? It has the exact fragment
> > "Lua programming" that TIOBE looks for, and it was released exaclty
> > when Lua's index did the big jump...
> >
> > -- Roberto
> >

> World of Warcraft was released during that time, I bet it's the reason.

WoW was released in 2004. The spike occurred in early 2007. I doubt WoW had anything to do with it, unless you think a couple thousand people got Burning Crusade because they could write addons in Lua.

I got started in Lua because of WoW. Probably the only thing good I got out of that devil game.

-Patrick Donnelly

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

-Will Durant