I dont know about VC8, but with VC6/7 you get a corrupt heap
if you use the two differnt mallocs.

We do this all the time - compiling with optimizations turned on for
some files and off for others - and we don't have any problems.

However, you are probably right that using two different mallocs (or
rather, allocating through one and freeing through the other) will get
you in trouble. Maybe we get away with it because we route everything
through our own allocators, which are in one group of files and are
always compiled with the same settings.

I would guess the core Lua code always takes care of its own
allocations, i.e. it never hands you a pointer and lets you free it
yourself? If this is the case, you should be fine compiling the Lua
core with different settings from the rest of the project.