On 11-Jun-07, at 3:28 PM, Matthew Armstrong wrote:

With regards to my original question, is there a way to get the upvalue's value?  If ldb can do it, I'm assuming there is a way.

Sure. See the debug. library.

I don't find this to be at all bloated, and find it vastly more useful than all of lua's IDEs combined.  Maybe I've been weaned on using debuggers over the years, but having breakpoints with variables really does make my life easier.  I actually talked a bit with the LuaEclipse guys, and they are certainly thinking about something like this, but like so many other things, it's "in the works."

I'm not sure what you mean by "breakpoints with variables". ldb lets you look at all the visible variables at the current execution point (with
the show command), or to evaluate an expression using the visible
variables. It does not yet have watchpoints, but I'm planning on adding
them; all the infrastructure is there to do it.

ldb is not a visual debugger, of course, but I'm trying to make it
modular enough that it could be managed from an IDE.

If there are specific features you feel it lacks, please let me
know.