It was a rhetorical question.
If you don't want it, don't load it, why should the <20kb of C code be stripped?

Sherry Zhang wrote:
On 6/9/07, Stefan Sandberg <keffo.sandberg@gmail.com> wrote:
And what would those 'debugging tools' use then?

Sherry Zhang wrote:
> On 6/9/07, Rici Lake <lua@ricilake.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 8-Jun-07, at 8:28 PM, Matthew Armstrong wrote:
>>
>> > So I've gone and written myself some debugging utility functions, but
>> > am running into some trouble with the following:
>> >
>> > function outer(param)
>> > return
>> > function()
>> > -- (do something with param)
>> > debug.debug()
>> > end
>> > end
>> >
>> > outer(42)()
>> >
>> > So when I break at debug.debug, a search up the stack doesn't give me
>> > any info about param. Any way to get this?
>> >

>> param is an upvalue; it's not on the stack at that point.
>>
>> (Plug:) You might want to take a look at the lua debugger
>> (still alpha, but quite usable) at
>> http://primero.ricilake.net:8008/ldb/index.html
>>

> Why does the official lua distribution still have the `debug' library?
> I think it is ugly if lua has that library.  Most of the time we can
> debug the scripts via some debugging tools.

Well, I dont know. I am not a language developer.
Many Scheme implementation's IDE can help us to debug our program,
but the standard R5RS did not define such library.
Maybe in lua, a debugger can break the program at some place and find
get all the variables in the stack?