Jérôme Vuarand wrote:
2007/5/21, Steve Heller <steveheller@sbcglobal.net>:
I can't seem to get the luafilesystem library to work.
No matter what I do, I get a popup message that says
"The application has failed to start because
lua.5.1.dll was not found. Re-installing the
application may fix the problem." When I click "OK", I
get the following:

How did you build lua and lfs ? What version of Lua and lfs are you using ?

It seems that your lfs.dll is looking for lua.5.1.dll, and your lua
dll has a different name (probably lua5.1.dll or lua51.dll). To fix
the problem you can either create a special forwarding dll called
lua.5.1.dll that will forward all calls to your dll (whatever its
name), or you can rebuild lfs and/or lua to have them use matching dll
names.

Alternatively, if you didn't build lfs.dll yourself, ask someone else to build it with the proper dependency.

To everyone else following this thread:

Though I've read about library naming woes before, I'm not sure a solution was agreed upon. If not, this should happen ASAP. This problem has the potential to bother a lot of new users. Since most of them just download a binary distribution of Lua and some binary modules to go with it, I don't think we can expect them to create forwarding dll's or recompile those modules.

 - Peter Odding

PS. This list should have a proper FAQ (is there one already?)
PPS. Someone should write a bot that watches the list and auto-replies with a FAQ entry to obvious problems that have been discussed endlessly already :)