From: "Philippe Lhoste" <PhiLho@GMX.net>
To: lua@bazar2.conectiva.com.br
Sent: 4/13/07 8:42 AM
Subject: Re: What's up with token filters (Re: New operators?)

Thomas Lauer wrote:
> This sums it up beautifully. I love my += etc. in C/C++ but I'd much
> prefer Lua to keep its inherent cleanness. A small, orthogonal core like
> Lua's is worth a few (thousand) keystrokes.

Side note: with a good editor, you don't even have to type so much...
SciTE's autocompletion (which leaves room to improvement) can often
propose to finish typing the long variable name, otherwise I often just
double-click on the variable on the left and Ctrl+drag it to the right...
Yes, I am mostly a Windows user, it shows? :-D

I suppose other editors can have facilities with keyboard shortcuts.
Hey, in SciTE, one can even make a Lua macro to handle this: type "foo
+=" and it transform it to "foo = foo +"...

Yet, I like the += operator, concise, readable and convenient.
But I reckon good reasons to leave it and its friends out of Lua have
been given, so I won't ask them anymore! :-)

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France