Additionally (and I liked Jérôme's notion that things may need to be re-repeated):

Suggested C token filter approach would still be an important step further from the current patching model. Patching is stabbing the patient, making surgery. C token filters is like giving eye glasses to him. And the patient can wear multiple eye glasses if needed... ;)   (stopping the analogy before it hits a wall)

Meaning: extendability and layerness in the lexer is a good thing, whether made in C or in Lua.  This seems like Lua 6.x to me... 8)

-asko