Hi Luiz,

  If lua is meant to be compiled in our Apps, why not allow the user
change the library loading flags by setting a define instead of making
him change code of the standard distribution? Maybe this with a new
entry in the FAQ ( "Solving C++ RTTI problems with library loading on
Linux" -> compile with -DRTTI_DLIB)

But actually I'd rather a better solution to this, as I said in the
other thread the current behavior of lua is not coherent between
platforms.

Cheers,
   Jose.

2007/3/30, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br>:
> It seems that folks using lua in the recommended way statically link
> the core into their application, and if you are doing that, you might
> as well statically link all the modules you provide into the app, as
> well.

Right. Unless they want to allow user modules written in C. That's up to
the app's designers.

> Besides, do you really want users loading their own binary modules
> into your apps run-time?

We only want that for the standard Lua interpreter so that users do not
have to rebuild it every time they want a new library. Libraries can be
then distributed in binary form as a dynamic library and users do not
even have to have or know how to operate a C compiler (much less create
a dynamic library).

And, yes, for the standard Lua interpreter we strongly recommend
statically linking the core into it. (Unless you're in Windows, when you
need the core to be a DLL if you want to load user DLLs.)

> Can you do that with WoW or lightroom?

I don't know. Does anyone?
--lhf

--