Perhaps a tangent, but I've found myself using this kind of construct a good deal:

function apply(o, f, ...)
	setfenv(f, o)
	return f(...)
end

-- example --

obj = { foo = 4 }
meth = function()
	foo = foo + 1 	-- no self or upvalue
end
apply(obj, meth)
print(obj.foo) -- 5

Basically I like the idea of being able to refer to table values implicitly within a function, which may be a 'leftover mindset' from working in OO languages, may be an aesthetic thing (avoiding lots of self. elements in frequently used functions), but maybe also because I enjoy the flexibility that Lua environments offer.

I couldn't say what the potential overhead or possible pitfalls of this approach are (other than the obvious possibility that obj o does not have a member foo etc.)

A more careful implementation would be (untested):

function apply(o, f, ...)
	local e = getfenv(f)
	setfenv(f, o)
	local ret = {f(...)}
	setfenv(f, e)
	return unpack(ret)
end

The apply function could be added to a metatable used by all object, or even (if efficiency is not a concern) by all tables.