Kein-Hong Man wrote:
Wow, another hot discussion. Sounds like a religious preference. Well, no offense, but if you can convince Guido van Rossum to do it first, then maybe I will sit up and pay attention.

You're right, colon-free versus colon-full function definitions is probably a religious preference. If the choice between a dot-syntax and a colon-syntax exists, programmers should just choose what they are most comfortable with (perhaps because they were used to similar syntax in another language).

I personally would like to see a colon-free and hidden argument alternative in Lua for object.method calls just for the sake of elegance in the language. I believe this can be easily done with an implementation of self that doesn't use the "hidden argument" implementation pattern that I described in my previous post.

In any case, it's a wish list item that in fact amounts to a religious choice. -- Call me a hidden argument, colon-atheist!

Cheers,

// Brian