Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
"We heavily modified the Lua interpreter to support many advanced
features. The first thing we did was to change the syntax to be almost
identical to C/C++ since the BASIC-like coding style was irksome, and to
add in sorely missed operators such as +=, *=, ++, etc. "

If they wanted Javascript they knew where to find it, right? :-(

Indeed. I never had a problem with the syntax of Lua, even if sometime I wish to have ++ -- += and -= (the most used specific operators), because I like long variable names.
But well, I can easily live without them.

"Furthermore, we made a series of incredible performance enhancements to
the execution speed and memory management of the interpreter. We greatly
decreased table access times and improved the performance of the garbage
collector."

Now, it would be interesting to know details about this.

Sure. I saw <http://developer.popcap.com/> that their framework is open source, I don't know if their custom Lua is in there. I have yet to read all this.

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France