I think a Lua web plug-in is a wonderful idea whose time has come, as long as it's open source, and done right!
(And it would be quite nice if it had a good 3d graphics module, too.)

Making it open source is crucial.
It's impossible trying to get people to buy into a commercial browser plug-in (although Flash is the exception that proves the rule).

I think tight browser integration is the key -- if you can integrate it tightly and deeply with _javascript_ and the DOM, then it will be quite useful.
But if it's just off in its own little world sealed off from the rest of the web browser, then we have a problem, Houston.

You would probably have to take the ActiveX/OLE route to integrate it with Internet Explorer, using the IScriptingEngine interface and its ilk.
That would require supporting OLE Automation in a big way, but fortunately there is already a Lua module that does that.

It's a different story on Firefox, though.
Take a look at the LiveConnect stuff that was designed to integrate Java with _javascript_ and the DOM.
Also take a look at XPCOM and the latest interfaces available that support scripting engine integration.
That might help get you integrated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiveConnect
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xpcom

Here is some stuff I wrote about the OLPC's Sugar user interface, describing various scripting languages, integration technologies, and gui platforms, and mentioning some stuff about how Lua could benefit the One Laptop per Child project, because it's so fast and memory efficient!

http://mailman.laptop.org/pipermail/sugar/2006-December/001022.html

    -Don