Hello Jérôme,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this. Guys often see the problem, that someone might come and overtake their business by taking their source and start a new project. Since I am not a lawyer and not in publisher-scene working - I won't say, my thoughts are best at all. But I studied open source licenses and stuff for about 2 years.

But LGPL 'advertises' with the "release-but-with-source-of-what-you-changed"-thing, so that even if somebody uses your source and makes his own (maybe commercial project) - he'll have to give it to you, and you can add it to your own prject. Sounds not that bad at all, does it?

Of course releasing the source of modifications, is an issue for some. But for some library creators it secures that external patches are made and applied.

My opinion is, that packages (like the lua-one) should have enough plugin/module features, so that you don't need to change the source of the package - only if you find a bug or add an feature. Then why not sharing this fix with the community? Thatswhy I am very happy, that LUA has (even its not LGPL) so much powerpatches for most needed things available!

I am looking forward to see luaODE released. As long as it one of the license Jérôme said, I'll be able to use them well.

Kind regards,
 Jan (DracoBlue)