the t2-project (www.t2-project.org) has a bash to lua wrapper:

http://svn.exactcode.de/t2/trunk/misc/luabash/

that enables you to interface shellscript with lua, i.e call lua
functions from bash and vice versa and read / set bash variables from
within a lua code chunk. Luabash hasn't got many features yet, because it
is just a proof of concept implementation. But works fine otherwise...
See the test script in the example subdir.

Wow, that's quite a neat binding.  Any plans on more work on this?
I've written a few bash scripts over my time using Linux, but often
preferred to use Lua for come complex items... with such a tool, I
could use both for what they're good with...
--
Thomas Harning Jr.