Hi Ryan,

the t2-project (www.t2-project.org) has a bash to lua wrapper:

http://svn.exactcode.de/t2/trunk/misc/luabash/

that enables you to interface shellscript with lua, i.e call lua
functions from bash and vice versa and read / set bash variables from
within a lua code chunk. Luabash hasn't got many features yet, because it
is just a proof of concept implementation. But works fine otherwise...
See the test script in the example subdir.

-- Valentin