I am maintaining the lua51 package on 'fink', which I'd suggest you have a look, and will be bringing most if not all LuaX modules reincarnated onto regular Lua 5.1 packages within spring 2007.

What we're awaiting next, is really LuaRocks, which should actually deliver what both LuaCheia and LuaX tried.  Too many names, I know, but this is the Way of the Open Source. Like it or leave it...  Things take time.

So, hang there some more, or participate on the work.

-asko

http://fink.sourceforge.net/
% sudo fink install lua51