On 12/26/06, Alex Queiroz <asandroq@gmail.com> wrote:
Hallo,

On 12/25/06, Michael Manti <statboy3000@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is anyone out there using Lua as a standalone scripting language on Intel
> Mac OS X? If so, would you be willing to share tips on how to set up a
> workable system for doing so?

     I don't know MacOS X, but I guess it's POSIX enough to support
ex[1]. There is also lhf's lposix[2].
Cheers,

I actually did try using lposix and lfs.  Ex looks similar enough that
I didn't bother with it as well.  Python was simpy the better tool for
the job.  It happened that I needed to compute SHA-1 sums and Python
had a module for it.  The Python implementation ended up being faster,
probably owing to os.walk() being faster than explicit iteration with
the methods provided by lposix and lfs.  The native SHA-1 support was
also certainly better than doing a popen to sha1sum.  Although I find
Lua to be a fantastic language, I must say that it has not usurped the
other tools in my toolkit just yet.

 Ken