On Tue, 2006-10-17 at 19:00 -0400, Jerome Vuarand wrote:
> Success is dependant on exposition. I think that a "Recommended by Lua
> authors" brand would bring immediate acceptance to any lib that don't
> already have *serious* contenders (LuaSocket is one of these
> "giants"). A link from official Lua website would be enough.

This is a very good point. Whatever we do we want the blessing from the
main lua devlopment team. And there should be a link on the official
page that give the directions to new users that look for the libs.

It would also be nice with some general directions about the questions
discussed here. For example.

* Try or don't try to follow posix

* Write both lowlevel posix lib and win32 lib and make the abstraction
on top of those, or do the abstraction directly.

* namespaces. ( extend os? append os? (os.ex, os.opt, os.fs, os.proc...)
or create new namespases (fs, proc, env...)

> As a side note I think that if we stick to OS things a submodule of os
> would be the best place to put that standardized new library,
> something like os.opt or os.ex (note that "os.opt" is not longer than
> "string" or "package").

os.opt and os.ex don't tell you anything about whats there. os.fs,
os.env, os.proc does.