Wim Couwenberg wrote:

Promising plan.  I'd like to help out on the Windows and OS X part where
possible.  I (like David I suspect) have made several attempts at such a
unified library (on Linux and Win32) several times.  It is not simple,
alas.  Some fairly straight forward concepts are annoyingly different in
POSIX vs. Windows and not all differences are easy to overcome.

I share this experience. However, I think it is implementable. It requires
(as noted above) a good abstraction layer.

Such a library would require a very well-thought-out basis and a main
owner/moderator.

I was sort of hoping Luiz would take on this role. IMHO, OS zealots
need not apply.

If everyone just starts contributing small snippets here and there then
I'm quite convinced that it will not work, at all.

Agreed.