I was looking for info on Posix when I noted that most flavours of modern Windows are Posix compliant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX

Also if posix API has to be split in submodules, the best would be to stick to specification submodules, if there are any. This would avoid useless argumentations (Q:"my platform has files but no directories, should directory functions be in a seperate submodule?", A:"Look at posix spec for answer, and if only a part of a submodule is implemeted document it as is").

-----Message d'origine-----
De : lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br [mailto:lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br] De la part de Wim Couwenberg
Envoyé : 17 octobre 2006 16:33
À : Lua list
Objet : Re: about lposix

Hi Luiz,

> So, my suggestion, which has already been made recently, is that we
> join efforts and write an extended OS library that works on POSIX and
> Windows, and that can be easily ported to other OS. That requires that
> we reach an agreement about what to include in it and most important
> what *not* to include.

Promising plan.  I'd like to help out on the Windows and OS X part where possible.  I (like David I suspect) have made several attempts at such a unified library (on Linux and Win32) several times.  It is not simple, alas.  Some fairly straight forward concepts are annoyingly different in POSIX vs. Windows and not all differences are easy to overcome.

Such a library would require a very well-thought-out basis and a main owner/moderator.

If everyone just starts contributing small snippets here and there then I'm quite convinced that it will not work, at all.

--
Wim